The Washington Post spins the Zumbo saga, plus a timeline.

Blaine Harden, writing for the Washington Post, pulls a quote from freelance outdoors writer Pat Wray, implying that the grassroots outrage over Jim Zumbo’s gun bigotry blog post was the fault of the NRA:

“This shows the zealousness of gun owners to the point of actual foolishness,” said Pat Wray, a freelance outdoors writer in Corvallis, Ore., and author of “A Chukar Hunter’s Companion.” Wray said that what happened to Zumbo is a case study in how the NRA has trained members to attack their perceived enemies without mercy.[1]

I spent much of Saturday reading and commenting to the blog reaction to this news article. Many pointed the finger straight at the NRA and made comments like “they eat their own”. (You can peruse these blogs with a simple Technorati Search)

Actually, The NRA was a latecomer to the party. I noticed that the NRA stepped in with their press release after Zumbo resigned. In their press release, the NRA rightly credited “grassroots response in support of the Second Amendment”, and not themselves.

Furthermore, Pat Wray seems to be a shill for the American Hunters and Shooters Association[2], which itself is a sham “reasonable” firearms enthusiast organization funded by the stealthy anti-gun Joyce Foundation[3].

I’ve already written about Jim Zumbo’s comments and his apologies that fell flat, please look here for more info on that. Instead, I’d like to sketch out a timeline of the incident. Times are approximate, because in most cases I can’t be 100% sure of what timezone certain web servers are operating on.

Feb 16, 2007- Jim Zumbo writes his original post. Tam summed this up best in a single sentence, “On Friday evening, a gunwriter who was apparently tired of his 42-year career put his word processor in his mouth and pulled the trigger.”

Feb16, midnight- Jim’s original post attracts 1 comment.

Feb17, 8:15 PM- Over on AR15.com, “IIRC” notices Zumbo’s blog post and starts a thread. This thread, as of today, spans 59 pages.

Feb 17, 10:52 pm- TD gets his licks in as the first known blogger.

Feb 17, 2007, 11:24 PM- The other huge firearms enthusiast forum, The High Road, starts their Zumbo thread off with a post by “blackhawk2000″ (Update)

Feb17, midnight- Jim’s original post attracts an additional 193 comments for this day

Feb 18 at 1:49 AM- Xavier picks up the Zumbo story, “A New Gun Control Advocate”

Feb 18, 10:02AM- Tam runs with the Zumbo story.

Feb 18, 01:29 PM- first letter from Tommy Millner, CEO and President of Remington, shows up in the comments of Zumbo’s blog

Feb 18, 02:39 PM- Glenn Reynolds runs with the Zumbo story.

Feb 18 at around 04:21 PM- Jim posts his first, (still confused about the issues), apology. This second post attracts 413 comments in about an hour, based on the time stamp of the first comment and the last one preserved when I took a snapshot. Last comment I preserved was at 05:30 PM. There were likely many more.

Feb 18, 04:44 PM- “Joe Milkor” posts a comment about Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Ownership’s brand new Myspace presence. Many believe the initial page is fake.

Feb 18, between 07:10 and 8:37 PM- Outdoor Life Magazine slaps a CYA disclaimer statement on Zumbo’s blog “These opinions do not necessarily represent those of…”

Feb 18, 8:49 PM- Dave Cordrea receives a letter from Tommy Millner stating that Remington is disassociating themselves from all sponsorship of Jim Zumbo.

Feb18, midnight- Jim’s original post attracts an additional 2865 comments for this one day

Feb 19, 2007 8:56 AM- Sharp as a Marble posts the best damn parody.

Feb 19, 8:59 PM- Xavier notices that Zumbo’s blog has been taken down

Feb 19- Sponsor Cabela drops all ties with Jim Zumbo

Feb 21- Gerber Cuts Ties with Jim Zumbo

Feb 22 9:21:44 AM- First post on AR15.com by “Hellbound_Train” citing a press release from Outdoor Life Magazine on the occasion of accepting Jim Zumbo’s resignation.

Feb 22- First NRA press release NRA Publications Suspends Ties to Jim Zumbo

Feb 23, 10:32 AM- I post a comment over at SayUncle’s and follow that up with a blog entry showing that if that Brady MySpace page was fake in the past, at least it’s not now. I note that all Zumbo related content on that MySpace page has been scrubbed

Feb 23 07:04 PM- Ted Nugent opens a thread on his forum. and transfers a few messages (dated 02-22-2007 02:03 PM ) from Jim Zumbo into them. After a few false starts, Zumbo seems to finally get it.

Feb 24- “Pravda on the Potomac” brings the Zumbo saga to the mainstream media on page A03. Fully a week from Jim’s first post.

UPDATE: Mar 6 at 11:51 am: Paul Helmke and the Brady Bunch cherry pick quotes from others in an attempt to paint the grassroots movement that responded to Zumbo as a bunch of gun owning zombies, totally at the NRA’s bidding. Wow, just like the Washington Post did!

Footnotes:

[1] I suppose I’ve got to lay off those NRA issued subliminal motivation tapes (kidding) ;-)

[2]Hat tip to Say Uncle on this one.

[3] The Joyce Foundation also seems to fund wacky anti-freedom blogger GunGuys, and a shady group, the Alliance of Mayors Against Guns

This entry was posted in deranged rants. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to The Washington Post spins the Zumbo saga, plus a timeline.

1. Phil Welch says:

And all he ever did was express his personal distaste for a particular type of firearm.

2. Pingback: The Unforgiving Minute » Zumbogate Wrap-Up

3. georgie says:

I support your right to own guns. I support it mostly because it increases the odds that you will kill yourself or your children in a gun accident.

And face it, every time a gun nut, or the child of a gun nut, dies, the world becomes a better place.

So please keep buying assault rifles and hollowpoint ammo. And I will keep laughing at your gun and hunting accidents.

Sure, most of you will live. But I’ll piss on the rest of your graves.

4. Mark@C says:

No, Phil
    All he did was express his opinion and desire that a type of firearm (self loading semi-auto rifles) be BANNED, because he felt they were unsuitable for HUNTING. He managed to insult millions of owners, to boot, but that was gratuitous.
    This is a problem because, first and foremost, the second amendment of the Bill of Rights, which is the guarantee of the right of the people to own firearms, isn’t about hunting.
    Secondly, for one of ‘our own’ to advocate a ban, especially with HR 1022 in Judiciary Committee, can rightly be seen as offering aid and comfort to the enemy – those who are eager to abrogate our constitutionally recognised right.
    Finally, his stated reasoning behind advocating such a ban was to provide himself ‘cover’ for his ‘hunting’ weapons. Cowardly, indeed.

5. Pingback: SayUncle » The Press and Zumbo

6. Phil Welch says:

“All he did was express his opinion and desire that a type of firearm (self loading semi-auto rifles) be BANNED”

When and where did he say that? I want a specific link.

7. pax says:

You could also add timestamps from the monster Zumbo thread over at The High Road. I think some bloggers picked the story up from there, and there were several real-time comments that might shed a little light on it.

In any case, the NRA woke up well after the event and paddled like crazy to catch a wave that had already passed them by.

8. Justin says:

What Pax said.

The thread at THR was easily one of the biggest we’ve ever had on the site.

Link here:

Zumbo: Gun rag writer trashes “Assault Weapons”

9. Standard Mischief says:

Thanks, Justin.

I might have mentioned before that I hate forums. Nothing personal, it’s just that it’s so hard to scrape the damn things for useful information, and I find the animated aviators, and the endless versions of the smiley thingys are truly annoying. Not every forums gives me a low bandwidth option or will give me 100 messages per page.

I’ve just discovered I can scrape the text off pages using the command line tool lynx using the -dump option, that and curl make things a bit easier. I’ll come over and take a look.

10. Standard Mischief says:

When and where did he say that? I want a specific link.

I’ve seen the full text around a bunch of places, but I’m unsure of my rights to republish under fair use. So I’ve emailed you the links of my text scrape. They are about 1.6 MB and .2 MB each, and both include some, but not all comments.

11. Standard Mischief says:

If there’s any new updates, I want to do them all at once. Otherwise it annoys the crap out of the people who subscribe to my feed

February 17th, 2007, 11:24 PM The other huge firearms enthusiast forum, The High Road, starts their Zumbo thread off with a post by “blackhawk2000″.

12. Kevin Baker says:

I’ve been touring the blogs that have been commenting on Zumbo and the WAPO story, leaving comments of my own, but you’re always there firstest with the mostest! Hat’s off to you, sir!

13. Elliott says:

georgie wrote:

Sure, most of you will live. But I’ll piss on the rest of your graves.

Posted 26 Feb 2007 at 7:13 am

How completely dispicable you are! To endorse the loss of life of another person…and children!
    YOUR forefathers carried firearms to ensure that you would have freedom to say those horrible things about other people who have better sense.

AS for Zumbro…How did he expect the world of firearm owners to react when he said those things?

14. Pingback: The Unforgiving Minute » I thought I was done writing about this…

15. Yea, well Kevin, I started a few of those comments like this:

Had you done a lick of original research instead of regurgitating the swill that was spoon-fed to you by the WaPo you would have realized that this was a grassroots response to Zimbo’s post. Thousands of posts per day were posted on Jim’s blog before that blog was pulled offline. Then Jim resigned his position. All of that went down before the NRA issued their first press release….

That’s probably not what needs to be said to win people over to our side.

16. Bob Ricker is a fake pro-gun shill who actually works to pass anti-gun legislation. You can read about this guy here:

17. Pingback: SayUncle » Another Letter from Zumbo

18. Pingback: Redemption at Standard Mischief

19. Yuri Orlov says:

Zumbo commited career suicide by calling the owners of these rifles “terrorists” and saying that they should be banned. As stated above, the NRA was slow to say anything at all. The Brady’s are quick to offer up cherry picked quotes from Zumbo and others, but there is not a word about his second (sincere) apology.

After cruising the Brady Blog and reading the comments posted by their supporters, I’ve come to the realization that there’s no reasoning with these idiots. They feel that the world works a certain way and therefore it must be so. No amount of logic, reason or facts will dissuade them. The only ones that can be reached are those on the fence about the issue.

-Yuri

The Real Gun Guys, counteracting the counterfeit.

Go to http://www.therealgunguys.com or http://therealgunguys.blogspot.com

20. Pingback: A bill: H.R. 1791 at Standard Mischief